Great Dane Breeders Color Code
(As endorsed by The Great Dane Club of America)
“It shall be the goal of all to breed forward, never backwards, to attain pedigrees of puppies which have the desired color strains endorsed by the Great Dane Club of America”
There are only six recognized colors; all these basically fall into four color strains:
- FAWN and BRINDLE
- HARLEQUIN, MANTLE and HARLEQUIN BRED BLACK
- BLUE and BLUE BRED BLACK
Color Classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club’s policy to be cognizant of the following breedings:
- FAWN bred to FAWN or BRINDLE only.
- BRINDLE bred to BRINDLE or FAWN only.
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLE Danes should not carry BLACK, HARLEQUIN or BLUE upon them.
- 2. Mantle
- 2. Black (Harlequin Bred)
- HARLEQUIN bred to HARLEQUIN, BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING or BLACK from BLACK BREEDING only.
- MANTLE bred to HARLEQUIN, MANTLE, BLACK from HARLEQUIN breeding or BLACK from BLACK breeding only.
- BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING bred to HARLEQUIN, BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING or BLACK from BLACK BREEDING only.
Pedigrees of HARLEQUIN, MANTLE or HARLEQUIN BRED BLACK Danes should not carry FAWN, BRINDLE or BLUE upon them.